Friday, May 29, 2015

Timeline in pursuit of my Dreams


December, 2012 - Associate in Arts Degree (Anoka Ramsey Community College)

September, 2014 - Made the mental decision to apply for the Peace Corps in hopes of departing late summer 2015

November 1st, 2014 - FINALLY submitted my Peace Corps application after writing, editing, rewriting and enlisting others to edit my 500 word essay and resume (that is all the Peace Corps was judging me off of). My first 3 choices in applying were Youth Development-Peru, Youth Development-Costa Rica and anywhere with a preference for Spanish-speaking.
*Special shout outs to Dad, Katie (sister), Katie Kampa, Sarah, Robert and Kim, Kyla and anyone else I am forgetting-I sure did need a lot of help :)!

December 2nd, 2014 - Placed under consideration for Peace Corps Peru

February 9th, 2015 - Asked to provide documentation showing 4 years of high school spanish or 2 semesters of college spanish completed, to continue being considered for Peru (I had 3 yrs in high school and 1 semester in college)

February 13th, 2015 - Informed I could no longer be considered for Peru due to it being a highly competitive program and not fitting neatly into the language prerequisites. Told I can be considered for Fiji if I would like with no guarantee that I would recieve an interview 

February 17th, 2015 - Offered an interview for Peace Corps Fiji - Community Youth Empowerment Project

February 23rd, 2015 - Interviewed via video call for Peace Corps Fiji

February 26th, 2015 - Invited to serve with Peace Corps Fiji!

May 9th, 2015 - Bachelor in Arts Degree in Family Life Education (Concordia University-St. Paul)

May 28th, 2015 - Medical and dental clearance granted (after 3 months of nearly weekly appointments to get poked and prodded)

August 31st, 2015 - Temporarily scheduled to depart for training in LA (Peace Corps calls it staging)

September, 2015 -Temporarily scheduled to leave for Fiji. Will stay with a host family and receive in country training for two months

November, 2015 - Receive specific job/village assignment for the next two years 

No comments:

Post a Comment