Sunday, September 6, 2015

Bula!

I can't tell you what day or time it is but I can tell you that this is where I should be. This is will quite possibly be my last post for a few weeks as I head into the village life.

The first few days in Fiji have blended together and it is hard to believe I haven't even been here a week. Our program is really well organized and they have done a marvelous job on of easing us into our new lives. I have participated in a few "grog sessions" drinking Kava. There will be more on Kava..probably a post dedicated to it itself as I learn more and can better explain the importance of this in the Fijian community. I am learning every moment of every day...including being challenged. I am definitely out of shape - being shown to me in my slow swim in to shore during our swimming competency test yesterday. Maybe that means I have secured a spot in city?? Haha, just kidding.

 This has been a wonderful time in getting to know the 34 other volunteers here in Fiji with me (plus the 15 Tonga volunteers we spent 4 days with). We have played tons of volleyball, soccer, frisbee, football, swam in the river, the ocean, pools at the hotels, walked around towns and played lots of games. We have a solid group here and I look forward getting to know this 92nd group of Fijian Peace Corps volunteers over the next 27 months!

Tomorrow I will move in with my host family. My host mom is 63 years old and widowed. She has two grandchildren living with her, ages 8 and 10. I am super excited to meet them and kick the soccer ball around in the village! The name of my village for the next two months, is Savu Village which means Waterfalls in English. WATERFALLS ARE MY FAVORITE. I can't wait. We will have 2.5 hours of language training Monday through Friday and then several hours of cultural and technical training (in youth development). The house I will be living in is wooden with two bedrooms and a flush toilet :). It is a Peace Corps requirement that the host family is able to provide the volunteer with their own room and a lock to the room. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Missy! An interesting first post. It's so interesting. I'm looking forward to finding out how you adjust, all your adventures, and the works that you do as I continue to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Missy! An interesting first post. It's so interesting. I'm looking forward to finding out how you adjust, all your adventures, and the works that you do as I continue to read!

    ReplyDelete